Provide the leader with information regarding any medical condition or recent surgeries. You must set out any specific needs you have.
If you require the use of an epi-pen you must tell the leader or a fellow hiker where the epi-pen is located.
Ensure you have these minimum necessary items: map and compass, first aid kit, adequate water/water purifier, extra food, extra layers of warm dry clothing, rain jacket and rain pants, knife, emergency matches, whistle, flashlight, appropriate footwear, appropriate clothing, sunscreen, bug repellent, walking stick.
You are responsible for your comfort and safety, make sure that you can do the hike and, if not, do not go.
Remember that a leader may refuse to accept a person on a hike who in their opinion is not properly prepared or who they believe is otherwise unable to hike safely.
You must adhere to the following procedures:
- o Hikers must stay between the leader and the sweep.
- o Hikers must advise the leader or the sweep if they wish to leave the group.
- o Hikers must leave their backpack on the trail with the top pointed in the direction the group is walking if leaving the trail for a call of nature. The sweep will wait for the hiker to return to the trail.
- o Hikers must follow the whistle instructions: 1 blast- where are you; 2 blasts – come to me; 3 blasts – Help. Each blast should last 3 seconds and the response to all is one single blast.
- o Hikers must walk in the centre of the trail to avoid further trail widening.
- o Hikers must follow Leave No Trace Principles: Plan ahead and prepare. Travel and camp on durable surfaces. Dispose of waste properly. Leave what you find. Minimize campfire impacts (bowl fires or gas stoves only). Respect wildlife. Be considerate of other visitors. Dogs on leash.
You are responsible for your comfort and safety. Let the leader know if you need a pit stop, ensure your gear and clothes are appropriate and ask for time to adjust or change gear and clothing if needed.
If you have knowledge of flora, fauna, birding, geology or history of the area, you can enhance the hike by sharing that knowledge with the group.
Pay attention to other participants and help the leader do head counts and ensure all participants are accounted for.